Wednesday 9 June 2010

The Ulster Museum controversy (10)

The following comments were made by the Belfast Telegraph journalist Lindy McDowell in her Opinion column tonight (9 June):

How Minister's museum plea created unholy row
I don't go in for -isms and -ists.  So I don't see myself so much as an atheist.  Just a plain old non-believer.
I don't think there is anything up there or out there or down there (And, spare me tracts aimed at changing my mind.  you're wasting your postage.)
I do, however, respect other people's rights to their religious views.  If it brings people comfort and strength, fine by me.  I'm even interested in learning about various religions and religious views.
It's a big world.  There's room for us all.
Which is why I'm a bit baffled as to why so many people seem to have gone apoplectic over the revelation that Culture Minister Nelson McCausland has written to the Ulster Museum saying he's like to see a bit more coverage of Creationism (inter alia).
Now, if he was warning 'more coverage or no funding', obviously that would be a problem.
But he doesn't actually seem to be saying that.  So why not a exhibit outlining what Creationism is all about?
There are some things I'd certainly like to find out about it.
For a start - when was Creationism created?

3 comments:

  1. It's conspicuous by it's absence on the Telegraph homepage. Probably because of the comments that would be posted laughing at such an idea being represented as Science.She obviously misses the point. We who trust science are happy for creationism to be present in the Museum - in the mythology section next to Norse, Egyptian, Greek and Roman mythology. That is where it belongs in a museum if indeed it belongs there at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pensterx - It may not be on the homepage but it is certainly in the Belfast Telegraph and Lindy McDowell is a well-known and respected journalist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you intend to address the Creationism issue yourself Nelson? It's been a while, and I've been waiting patiently...!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.